One of my go-to recipes for comfort and quick nutrition. It is loaded with vegetables and because of the pasta, it is a whole meal in itself!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: ~30 mins
Serves: 4 hearty servings
1 tbsp olive oil
1 diced small onion
4 – 5 diced tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato puree
1.5 cups diced mixed vegetables (15-20 beans, 1 medium carrot, kernels of ½ corn, 1 small capsicum)
4-5 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dry basil or ½ cup diced fresh celery stalks
4 cups water / 2 cups chicken stock + 2cups water
½ cup shell pasta / macaroni
½ tsp jaggery / sugar
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook till lightly browned and soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree and cook till heated through. Cover, reduce the heat and leave for 5 minutes, till tomatoes are soft and shapeless
- Add the chopped vegetables and mix thoroughly. Add your chosen herb, your chosen liquid, salt and jaggery. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and let the vegetables are half cooked (about 5 minutes)
- Uncover, check the vegetables to make sure they are half cooked. Bring to a boil again and then add the pasta. Boil on high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat, cover and leave for 10 minutes. This is an important step as it leads to the thickening of the soup as well as the cooking of the pasta.
- Uncover and check the consistency of the soup. This is a thin soup. Add water if needed and heat through again, without boiling.
- Preferably, serve immediately. Else, heat through (without boiling) before serving.
Stays in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.